Open Medicine Foundation (OMF) envisions improved health care for patients suffering from chronic complex diseases with collaboration between the patients, clinicians, and researchers.
- Support collaborative medical research to find effective treatments and diagnostic markers for chronic complex diseases with initial focus on ME/CFS.
- Keep the neuro-immune patient, clinician, and research communities informed about OMF research projects and results.
- Bring together “thought leaders” from around the world to brainstorm and participate in targeted initiatives.
- Encourage and engage the patient community to take an active role in their health care.
- Support health care education about chronic complex disease.
- Advance translational research and information-based research into optimum clinical medicine, including the diagnosis and treatment of these poorly understood diseases and the under-served patients.
Our Current Focus
The Open Medicine Foundation is spearheading chronic complex disease research that follows patterns of success and benefits from collaborating with leading scientists and clinicians from around the globe. These experts bring to our foundation their expertise in immunology, virology, genomics, informatics, molecular biology, epidemiology, infectious disease, oncology, pathology, and clinical medicine. The current focus is on ME/CFS (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / systemic exertion intolerance disease), with the expectation that discoveries in this disease will bring answers to other diseases that share some of the symptoms (such as fibromyalgia and chronic Lyme disease).
Our Scientific Advisory Board decides what research strategies will most likely lead to reliable diagnostic biomarkers and treatments. We fund research initiated by our advisory board and research designed by others. Because our director and some of our advisory board and foundation board members are personally touched by the devastation of ME/CFS, we are strongly motivated to grab every opportunity for progress so that vitality and the joys of a healthy life are restored to all who presently suffer from these chronic complex diseases. This has led to varied partnerships and collaborations around the globe.
A great research strategy is not enough. To succeed, a foundation must have funding. With optimism and creativity, we are determined to reach our aggressive funding goals, filling a huge gap in the history of these diseases. Appropriate research funding is long overdue in fighting these diseases. Find an update of current studies funded by us. We are convinced that answers are readily available if we apply the best resources in a large-scale concerted effort. We aim to use the right tools with the right people to deliver actionable results.
Please join us in our fight for answers.
Open Medicine Foundation is a registered 501(c)(3), Tax ID: 26-4712664. All donations are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law.