Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a life-altering, complex multi-system disease.
A life altering disease
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a complex multi-system disease with many symptoms that may change over time and differ from patient to patient. The most common symptoms of ME/CFS are post-exertional malaise (worsening of symptoms upon even minimal exertion), unrefreshing sleep, profound fatigue, cognitive impairment, orthostatic intolerance, and pain.
The cause of ME/CFS is currently unknown, but a combination of genetic and environmental factors appear to be relevant. There are no specific diagnostic tests or FDA approved treatments available.
- Visit OMF’s resource center to find a list of information for caregivers and people with ME/CFS and related diseases, including handouts to share with your doctor.
- Check out the US ME/CFS Clinician Coalition
- Review and share the excellent, US ME/CFS Clinician Coalition Diagnostic Guidelines with your medical provider.
- See the ME/CFS Key Facts assembled by the Institute of Medicine/National Academy of Sciences.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention explains common Diagnostic Questions asked by your healthcare provider. Included on the site are some thoughtful handouts to help you navigate the diagnostic process.
What's it going to take to eradicate this disease?
Today, the landscape of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME / CFS) research is growing with the outlook for people with ME/CFS brighter than ever.
The End ME/CFS Project encompasses OMF funded and facilitated research conducted at five ME/CFS Collaborative Research Centers (CRCs) across the globe. OMF’s guiding strategy focuses on open, collaborative research so that precise diagnostic tools and life-changing treatments can be available to people with ME/CFS and related chronic complex diseases as soon as possible.
Support Open Medicine Foundation’s quest to find effective treatments and diagnostic tests for the millions of people affected by ME/CFS!
Support Open Medicine Foundation’s quest to find effective treatments and diagnostic tests for the millions of people affected by these devastating diseases!
Disclaimer: This website is for informational purposes only. The information provided on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.